Add a Kombucha Kick to the classic and kitchen staple with this recipe for probiotic-packed Italian dressing.
Italian dressing is year in and year out one of the most popular and widely-used salad dressings, both in restaurants and homes alike. And while we may be used to grabbing our favorite brand at the store or asking for an extra side of it from our favorite Italian restaurant, Italian dressing is actually very easy to make. But it wouldn’t be a Fermentaholics original without our trademark twist on it. This time – we add some positively propitious pellicle powder to the classic condiment!
You might first be wondering – wait… you want me to eat the pellicle, or as some refer to it, the SCOBY? Yes, as a matter of fact, we do! Let’s take a look at exactly what we’re eating here: The kombucha culture or SCOBY is a colony of living bacteria and yeast. When looking at a SCOBY, you will usually be looking at liquid kombucha starter tea and a kombucha pellicle. The B.Y. in SCOBY, the bacteria and yeast, are microscopic, so you can’t see them. But they are there, living in both the liquid of the kombucha starter tea and the kombucha pellicle. And we use these very exact SCOBYs to make our Kombucha SCOBY Pellicle Powder. After dehydrating the SCOBY, we turn it into a medium-coarse grind. And now we’re ready to pack probiotics into our favorite foods!
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, grated or pressed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp pink salt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp Dried SCOBY Pellicle Powder
This recipe will make enough probiotic-packed Italian dressing for about 8 servings. If you’re feeding more or stocking up for the week, scale accordingly!
- Be sure to consistently measure out each ingredient – a heaping spoonful versus a flat spoonful can be the difference between delicious and disaster!
- If vegan or catering to vegan needs, swap out the parmesan cheese for an extra tsp or two of our dried SCOBY Pellicle Powder. The more probiotics the better!